West Des Moines Christian Church, established in 1890, is the oldest church in
West Des Moines. We began our ministry above a store in Valley Junction and in
1893, built our first church building at 6th & Elm Streets. To better respond to the
needs of a growing community, the church rebuilt on the same site in 1903.
On June 30, 1940, a fire destroyed the church building. The congregation decided
the best way to be a caring church for a growing community, was to rebuild "way out" near the cornfields on 8th Street and Grand Avenue.
In August 1999, WDMCC again moved to a new site to best meet the needs of a growing community. Our 10-acre site gives us many exciting opportunities to grow as a church.
In the spring of 2007, we continued our growth by opening our amazing new sanctuary. Our desire to be a caring church for a growing community has led us to add new programming, additional staff and new opportunities in worship, service, education, music, spiritual growth, fellowship and sports.
Our Beliefs Include
- Faith in Christ—Jesus Christ is the son of the Living God and offers saving grace to all.
- The Lord’s Supper—We celebrate the Lord’s Supper or Communion weekly. The table is open to all believers of Christ.
At the table we celebrate our unity in Christ.
- Baptism—While we practice baptism by immersion, we recognize that all baptisms—in whatever form—unite us to Christ
and to each other in faith, mission and community.
- Scripture—We acknowledge the centrality of scripture in worship, study and service.
- Ministry of all believers—Ministers and lay persons lead worship, direct service opportunities and nurture spiritual growth.
- Congregational government—The congregation works together on a journey of faith to plan and implement the mission
and programs of the church.
- Service—We seek to provide spiritual and practical assistance to those in need within our congregation, community and world.
- Diversity of opinion—We are a caring community of Christians who value and protect others’ beliefs as we walk our individual
faith journeys. We represent diverse ages and a variety of theological, economic, political, social and educational backgrounds. Through Jesus Christ, we find unity in the midst of diversity.
There’s a place for you!
We hope that you will make West Des Moines Christian Church your church home! Whether you are a long-time follower of Jesus Christ or curious about Christianity, we would be honored to join you on your journey of faith. We look forward to sharing our ministries with you!
For more info on WDMCC, please visit, call or e-mail us. For more info on the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), visit the www.disciples.org.